Do you love numbers, data and solving complex problems?
Students majoring in mathematics learn about the quantitative design in God’s creation and develop skills to describe physical and scientific phenomena.
Hear students discuss math and the innovative dual degree program at Northwestern College:
The mathematics major has two options:
- Applied Program, for preparation to apply mathematics in areas of business, government and science
- Traditional Program, for preparation for graduate school and mathematics research.
“I am planning on being an actuary in the future, and a strong mathematical background is recommended for this career. The math courses at Northwestern enable students to think at an advanced abstract level.”
Dana – Ramsey, Minnesota
What classes will I take?
- Calculus I–III
- Abstract Algebra
- Mathematical Models and Applications
- Honors History and Philosophy of Mathematics
What can I do with this major?
- College Mathematics Professor
- Modeling and Simulation Analyst
- Mathematical Scientist
- Operations Research Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
- Software/Web Designer
- Textbook Writer/Online Course Designer
- Traffic Analyst
What are grads doing?
- Working as an actuary
- Attending graduate school
- Completing postdoctoral research and teaching at Cornell University
- Working as a cryptoanalyst for the National Security Agency
- Traffic analyst for MN Department of Transportation
- Freelance web designer