Bachelor of Arts in Music
Join Northwestern's world of musical excellence
At the heart of music at Northwestern College, students are becoming lifelong learners and accomplished musicians who do everything for the glory of God.
An attitude of worship defines every class, lesson, rehearsal and activity. Of all the colleges in Minnesota offering music, Northwestern College has a proven reputation for excellence in music, music education and music performance.
Students and Faculty discuss the integral connection between faith and music at Northwestern College.
Is this degree for me?
The Bachelor of Arts in Music degree is for Christian students who desire a liberal arts degree with a focus on music. Approximately 45 percent of the coursework is in music with the remaining 55 percent in Bible, general studies, and electives.
How do I get into the program?
In order to be declared a music major you must audition and be accepted into the Department of Music. View music admission requirements to find out how and when to audition.
How do I know if I should be a music major?
The music major is perfect for you if you're considering:
- Private Teaching
- Music Business
- Graduate Training
- Church Work
Your interests certainly don't have to be limited to these four. If you enjoy singing, playing an instrument, or writing music, you should definitely give this major a try.
What if I am interested in other areas of music?
No problem! There are 16 credits of music electives that allow music majors to take courses in an area of particular interest such as music history and/or ethnomusicology, music theory, music composition, performance, or church music.
As with all other liberal arts degrees, the B.A. in music is not a career degree. However, the breadth of the education allows you to investigate and pursue a wide range of careers, related or unrelated to music.
What classes will I take?
- Music Theory
- Music in World Cultures
- Sight Singing and Ear Training
What can I do with this major?
- Music Program Director
- Music License Administrator
- Recording Studio Professional
What are grads doing?
Music graduates find themselves teaching private lessons, working in music business or arts management, church leadership, composing or arranging, performing, and most any other occupation that involves music.
Students may wish to pursue graduate studies in an area of music in which they have a particular interest and proper preparation: performance, composition, music history, ethnomusicology, music theory, music education, music therapy, music ministry, or music business.