Early Childhood Education (Birth–Grade 3)
Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education
The early childhood education major is designed to prepare students to teach in early childhood (birth through grade three) classrooms in private and public schools. The degree is granted upon completion of 139 credits as specified in the catalog (40 credits must be in 3000- or 4000-level courses).
- Philosophy course in core curriculum: EDU4415.
- Fine Arts course in core curriculum must include ART1005 or ART1825, and MUS1075 or MUS1825.
- Natural World courses in the core curriculum must include MAT1006, Mathematics for Elementary Teachers, or an alternate course with MAT prefix at or above the 1000 level if competency for MAT1006 is demonstrated through the Department of Mathematics & Engineering.
- Social Science course in core curriculum: PSY2108. (Transfer students unable to count PSY2108 for social science must take it as an added course.)
- Biblical Worldview & Academic Disciplines course in core curriculum must include EDU3209 and EDU3209L. (Transfer students unable to count EDU3209 and EDU3209L for Academic Disciplines must take them as added courses.)
- Students enrolling in Early Childhood Education courses requiring field experiences must have clearance from the Minnesota State Department of Human Services Background Study.
|EDU2215L||Educational Foundations Lab||0|
|EDU3209||Human Relations in a Cross-culturally Diverse World (OCE) See Academic Disciplines requirement above.|
|EDU3209L||Human Relations Lab See Academic Disciplines requirement above.|
|EDU3217||School Health and Drug Problems||2|
|EDU3246||Instructional Foundations (Grades PK–8) (WCE)||3|
|EDU3248||Educating Diverse Learners in Grades PK–8||2|
|EDU3301||Instructional Technology I||1|
|EDU3302||Instructional Technology II||1|
|EDU4415||Education Ethics See Philosophy course requirement above.|
|EDU4835||Seminar in Professional Issues||2|
|EDU4976||Student Teaching in Early Childhood: Pre-primary||7|
|EDU4977||Student Teaching in Early Childhood: Elementary K–3||7|
Required Major Courses
|CFD3205L||Child Development Lab||0|
|CFD3305||Infant/Toddler Development and Observation||2|
|CFD3306||Pre-primary Development and Observation||2|
|ECE2216||Foundations of Early Childhood Education||2|
|ECE2216||Foundations of Early Childhood Education Lab||0|
|ECE3206||Early Childhood Assessment||2|
|ECE3217||Health, Nutrition and Safety||2|
|ECE3306L||Infant/Toddler Methods Lab||0|
|ECE4316L||Pre-primary Methods Lab||0|
|ECE4319||Fine Arts Methods and Strategies (Birth–Grade 3)||2|
|EEL4306||Language Arts Content and Teaching Strategies (K–3)||3|
|EEL4317||Mathematics Methods and Strategies (K–3)||2|
|EEL4318||Science and Social Studies Methods and Strategies (K–3)||2|
|EEL4319||Physical Education & Health Methods and Strategies (K–3)||2|
|EEL4327||Kindergarten Methods and the Primary Learner||3|
|EEL4327L||Kindergarten Methods and the Primary Learner Lab||0|
|EEL4346||Reading Methods and Strategies K–6||4|
|EEL4347||Children's Literature K–6||2|
|EEL4835||Elementary Methods Seminar||0|
|EEL4835L||Elementary Methods Lab I||0|
Note: WCE= Written Communication Emphasis; OCE = Oral Communication Emphasis. See the catalog for explanation and prerequisites.