The Bachelor of Arts degree is for students who wish to pursue a broad liberal arts degree (B.A.) with an emphasis in music. Approximately 45 percent of the coursework is in music with the remaining 55 percent in Bible, general studies, and electives. There are 16 credits of music electives which allow the student to take courses in an area of particular interest such as music history and/or ethnomusicology, music theory, music composition, performance, or church music.
As with all other liberal arts degrees, the B.A. in music is not a career degree. However, the breadth of the education allows students to investigate and pursue a wide range of careers, related or unrelated to music. Students may wish to pursue graduate studies in an area of music in which they have a particular interest and proper preparation: performance, composition, music history and/or ethnomusicology, music theory, music education, music therapy, music ministry, or music business.
General Music Major
The Bachelor of Arts degree in General Music is designed for the musically talented student interested in studying music within the context of Scripture and the liberal arts. It is an appropriate degree program for the student considering private teaching, music business, graduate training, church work and a wide range of careers related to music. The B.A. in General Music does not qualify the student to be certified to teach public school music. The degree is granted upon completion of 125 credits as specified in the college catalog (40 credits must be in 3000- or 4000-level courses).
Entrance auditions are required for all students wishing to pursue a Bachelor of Arts in General Music, Bachelor of Music, or Bachelor of Music Education degree. Auditions are held during spring semester and new student orientation in August. Please visit the music admissions & scholarships page for more information.
- Fine Arts courses in core curriculum must include MUS1075 or MUS1825. Music majors may take a placement test to exempt this requirement. If a student passes the test, he or she may choose another course from the Fine Arts category to satisfy that requirement. Contact the Department of Music for more information about the test.
- Biblical Worldview & Academic Disciplines in core curriculum can be partially fulfilled by taking the required music course MUH3106. (Transfer students unable to count MUH3106 for Academic Disciplies must take it as an added course.)
|Required Courses||44–47 cr|
|MTC1000||Music Theory Fundamentals||1|
|MTC1001||Music Theory I||2|
|MTC2112||Music Theory II||3|
|MTC1003||Sight Singing and Ear Training I||1|
|MTC2004||Sight Singing and Ear Training II||1|
|MTC3101||Music Theory III (OCE)||3|
|MTC3103||Sight Singing and Ear Training III||1|
|MUH3101||Music History I (WCE)||4|
|MUH3102||Music History II (WCE)||4|
|MUH3106||Music in World Cultures (see Academic Disciplines requirement above)|
|MUS1000||Music Hour (6 semesters required)||0|
|Introduction to Music or|
Honors Introduction to Music
(see Fine Arts requirement above)
|MUS2176||Fundamentals of Conducting||2|
|Private or Class Piano (Students must be enrolled in private or class piano until the abbreviated piano proficiency exam is passed or MUP2011 completed with a C- or better.)||0–3|
|Private Music Lessons – Major level|
(6 credits/6 semesters required on the primary instrument)
|Music Ensembles (6 credits with a minimum of 4 semesters [4 credits] in large ensembles on primary instrument. Minimum of 2 credits in upper level. Students whose primary instrument is piano, organ, or guitar may use up to two semesters of Handbell Choir to partially fulfill the Large Ensemble requirement.)||6|
|Music Electives (must be upper-level)||6|
|Foreign Language||0–8 cr|
|Must achieve second semester of first-year language sequence or higher. See the catalog for details.|
Note: WCE= Written Communication Emphasis; OCE = Oral Communication Emphasis. See the college catalog for explanation and prerequisites.