Because teaching isn't just your career—it's your calling.
The Master of Arts in Education (MAED) is a non-licensure graduate degree ideal for licensed teachers (P–16) who wish to expand their knowledge and skills related to curriculum, instruction, technology and assessment.
The MAED is also well suited to individuals in a variety of other educational contexts such as Christian schools, education cooperatives, social service agencies or business.
Northwestern’s outstanding education faculty and our reputation for excellence in teacher preparation are the marks of this Christ-centered master’s degree program. You will be affirmed in your calling and prepared to advance in the field of education as you develop as a master educator.
The MAED is designed with your professional interests and passions in mind! While completing a set of core and elective courses, you will select an area of concentration.
Examples of concentrations include:
- Adult Education
- Instructional Technology
- Immigration & Refugee Education
- Career and Technical Education
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
The MAED program will provide the experience and opportunity to:
- Explore the depth of your calling as an educator and leader
- Integrate a biblical worldview with professional practice
- Serve your learners and provide leadership for your learning community with advanced preparation in curriculum, instruction, assessment, technology and cultural competence
Is the MAED for you?
The MAED is a rigorous program designed to help educators reach a high degree of excellence. It is designed for:
- Educators who want to expand their influence and excellence
- Teachers in leadership or transitioning to leadership roles
- Business professionals who work in settings that deliver and assess professional development training
- Christian educators serving in church or parachurch organizations or those who serve high numbers of immigrant students
- Social service personnel who are working with immigrant populations within educational contexts
The MAED is not a teacher licensure program and would not be appropriate for individuals who are seeking to move into education from another field as a career change. Similarly, the program does not provide licensure preparation for principals or superintendents.
Course of study
The Master of Arts in Education is granted upon completion of 36 credits. Completion time for the MAED is dependent upon course schedules and availability.
Download Degree Details for complete course descriptions.