Bring your posters and pictures and have fun making your room your space, But please follow these guidelines to avoid any damage assessments or violation of hall regulations.
- Residents cannot paint any part of their rooms. Wallpaper, bordering, stencils, and painting or other additions are not permitted.
- “Glow in the dark” stickers/stars, poster putty, gel clings, and soap/liquid detergent usually do not remove easily or cleanly from the ceiling or walls of rooms, usually resulting in a damage and/or cleaning charge.
- Anything that covers the ceiling light, windows, or furnished drapes/blinds is considered a fire hazard. Hang it on the wall instead.
- Christmas lights, etc., are allowed ONLY around your WINDOW. Black light bulbs may not replace the room light bulbs.
- Bottle collections, caps, or any other “monument” to alcohol are not permitted (neon signs, bar mirrors, shot glasses, etc).
- Offensive materials may not be posted on doors, in windows, or in another publicly viewed space.
- Residents may bring additional furniture but are fully responsible for any damages caused by moving or using the furniture and may be asked to remove the item(s) if it interferes with safe egress of the room. Furnished items may NOT be removed from the room.
How To Avoid A Sticky Situation
Certain products work better than others on the residence hall room walls and surfaces.
We recommend using 3M COMMAND strips and hooks as they will not damage the walls when used correctly.
3M COMMAND strips and hooks
(when used as directed)
You can probably use*
- Pushpins and thumbtacks
- Masking tape
Don’t Even Consider
- Foam adhesive
- Scotch, electrical, or duct tape!
*Residents are responsible for all room damages, regardless of product used. Care and caution should be used when hanging items on the wall.