NWC News Desk

NWC's teacher re-certification classes clarified

Posted September 26, 2007

P O W E L L, W y o. - A recent Northwest College news release incorrectly stated that the college offers a teacher certification program, a need expressed by many respondents in NWC's community survey last spring.

"While Northwest does not offer a teacher certification program, we do offer teacher re-certification classes for teachers who are already certified and want to keep their certification current by taking classes designed specifically for teachers," explained MaryAnn Wurzel, NWC associate professor of education. "Those classes are usually offered during the summer through the college's Extended Campus Office."

Wurzel added that Northwest's curriculum also includes two associate degree options in teacher education. Both provide the first two years in a baccalaureate degree track in which students transfer to a four-year institution. Both are recommended as well for individuals who are interested in becoming a classroom aide or other related paraprofessional position.

"In addition, NWC offers the substitute teaching course which qualifies a lay person to obtain the substitute teaching certification through the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board (PTSB) in Cheyenne," Wurzel said. "We only provide the content and aren't authorized to give certification - according to Wyoming statutes, the PTSB is the only education licensing agency in our state."

For more information, e-mail MaryAnn Wurzel or call (307) 754-6155.