Northwest College

Current International Students

On-Campus Employment & Social Security


Students who are here on F-1 visas may not work outside Northwest College. You are eligible to work on campus provided that it does not interfere with your studies. You can search for campus jobs on the NWC student employment website

During the academic year, you are allowed to work up to 20 hours a week. During spring, winter, and summer break, you can work up to 40 hours a week.

Permission to work outside the college is granted by OIP and USCIS, in this case, under the Curricular Practical Training and/or the Optional Practical Training programs.

Social Security Number

All international students who work on campus must apply for a Social Security Number. You will need this number before NWC can issue you a paycheck. Having a social security number does not give you permission to work off campus. Students who are not working are not eligible to apply for a social security number.

Once you receive a job on campus, OIP will work with you to obtain your social security card. This requires a trip to the Social Security Office in Cody. You will need to bring the following documents:


Amanda Enriquez
International Student & Scholar Services Manager


Kara Ryf
International Student & Scholar Services Coordinator