Northwest College

Current International Students

Health Insurance & Healthcare

International Student Health Insurance Information

The United States government does not pay for healthcare if you are sick or get into an accident while in the U.S. Because of this, all international students attending Northwest College are required to have health insurance. Healthcare in the United States is very expensive which means that health insurance is a very important part of your educational expenses.

Northwest College requires all international students to obtain private health insurance coverage. You will be required to provide a Certificate of Insurance or Sponsor Letter from your government agency which shows that you have adequate coverage as described below. If you do not provide proof of private health insurance by the deadline you will automatically be enrolled in Northwest College’s school policy. The school policy is the Select level plan offered by International Student Insurance and has a current cost of approximately $500 per semester.

Proof of insurance must be provided EACH semester.

You MUST submit your proof of insurance for fall semester by:

Incoming international student athletes (soccer & volleyball)
July 27, 2024
Returning international student athletes (soccer & volleyball)
August 1, 2024
Incoming international students & transfer students
August 12,  2024
Returning international students
August 23, 2024

You MUST submit your proof of insurance for spring semester by:

Incoming international students & transfer students

January 11, 2025

Returning international students

January 17, 2025

NO LESS COVERAGE WILL BE ACCEPTED. Private policies that do not show comparable coverage will not be accepted, and you will be automatically enrolled in and responsible for payment of the International Student Insurance Select Plan.   

Your insurance MUST include the following coverage:

Coverage Type

Minimum Requirement

Maximum Available with the International
Student Insurance Select Plan

Accident Medical Expense



Illness Medical Expense



Medical Evacuation






Your Certificate of Insurance MUST be in English and an original document. Your full name must appear on the Certificate of Insurance and only hard copies of your Certificate of Insurance will be accepted (no screen shots or scanned documents). I.D. cards without policy information are NOT accepted.

Please note: If your Certificate of Insurance is from an international company, you must verify that the policy includes coverage in the U.S.

COVERAGE DATES: Your Certificate of Insurance MUST show that you have coverage for the following dates for the 2024-2025 academic year:

FA/24 Semester

SP/25 Semester                   

Day of arrival in the U.S. – January 20, 2025 

January 20, 2025 – May 31, 2025                                    

Students who either work on campus, live on campus or take classes during the SU/24 semester are required to have health insurance from June 1, 2024 through August 23, 2024.

Students who either work on campus, live on campus or take classes during the SU/25 semester are required to have health insurance from June 1, 2025 through August 22, 2025. 

Both medical evacuation and repatriation are designed to cover the transportation costs of a major emergency or death, and are typically coordinated by the insurance company. Medical evacuation and repatriation are not always automatically included in private insurance. However, it is required, and private policies will NOT be accepted without this coverage.

During our international student orientation, you will receive more information about the healthcare system in the United States including health insurance, available resources, doctor and hospital visits, and how to stay healthy.


REMEMBER: Most insurances do NOT cover routine medical examinations, dental or lenses. These have to be separate contracts. We strongly encourage all students to get their routine medical examinations done at home (before traveling to the U.S.). Also, remember to bring all of your prescription documents (eye exams, medications, etc.) with you when you travel to the U.S.  

International students can choose any of the 4 different plan levels provided by International Student Insurance depending on their needs. 

Healthcare Tips While in the United States

Here are a few common ways to seek treatment in the United States:

Cold/Flu - most of the time, you can walk to the nearest pharmacy and purchase standard over the counter cold and flu remedies that will help alleviate your symptoms. If your condition worsens or you need to seek medical treatment please DO NOT go to the Emergency Room. Instead, locate a doctor or urgent care center near you.

General Sickness/Feeling Unwell - unless your symptoms are severe, please DO NOT visit the Emergency Room for general sickness. Instead, locate a doctor or urgent care center near you.

Acute Sickness/Emergencies - if you experience an accident or an acute illness that comes on very quickly and you need medical attention immediately please make your way to the nearest Emergency Room or call 911.

Here is a list of health care resources that are available to ALL students during the school year

Powell Valley Healthcare (general healthcare)
777 Ave. H
Powell, WY 82435
(307) 754-7257 (walk-in clinic) or (307) 754-2267

307 Health (primary care – membership fee required)
250 North Evarts Street
Powell, WY 82435
(307) 764-3721

Five Springs Health & Wellness (general healthcare)
246 North Absaroka Street
Powell, WY 82435
(307) 764-5470

Heart Mountain Free Clinic
1735 Sheridan Avenue
Cody, WY 82414
(307) 272-1753

Heritage Health Center (general healthcare)
128 North Bent Street
Powell, WY 82435
(307) 764-4107

Northwest Wyoming Family Planning
(307) 527-5174

Park County Public Health
Powell County Annex
109 West 14th Street
Powell, WY 82435
(307) 754-8870 or 800-786-2844 ext. 8870

Your Health and Well-Being 

It will take some time for you to transition and adjust to your new life in Wyoming. During this adjustment period you may feel very tired, overwhelmed, and different from how you feel normally. It’s important to eat healthy, exercise, and hydrate during your transition. Wyoming is a very dry climate and your body may experience changes that you weren’t expecting. Some common situations that students experience after arriving in Wyoming are:

  • Jet Lag – you moved across the world and it will take some time to adjust! Try to stay awake during the day and sleep at night. After a week or so you will start feeling normal again.
  • Dry Skin – As mentioned before, Wyoming is very dry. Use moisturizing lotion, lip balm, and drink a lot of water to replenish your body’s hydration.
  • Allergies – Powell is an agricultural community and it is very dry. You may experience sneezes, itchy eyes, coughs, sore throats, and other common ailments that occur with allergies. Many over-the-counter medications can cure these symptoms and oftentimes it is not necessary to see a doctor.
  • Diet & Weight Gain – A change in diet can greatly affect your health and feeling of wellness. The American diet may be very different than your diet at home and you might find yourself eating more dairy, bread, and other foods that you’re not accustomed to at home.
  • Homesickness – It is normal to miss your friends and family and the first several weeks may be very difficult for you. As you adjust to life in the U.S. it is important to make friends and be patient with yourself. Calling or Skyping home every day may help you feel better in the short term, but it will not help you adjust to your new life in Powell. If you are experiencing extreme homesickness you can always speak to a school counselor, an OIP staff member, or your friend(s). Talking about what you’re feeling is the best way to work through the difficult times.
  • Culture Shock – Life in the U.S. is different and it will take some time to adjust to. You may not like sharing a bathroom or you may not like having class early in the morning. These are differences that you will slowly get used to and it’s important to not be too frustrated with them as they occur.

Seeking Treatment in the United States

If you need to seek medical treatment, here is some advice:

  • Find a doctor/hospital – You can use the list provided above or you can search for providers online.
  • Always bring your insurance ID card – Make sure that you have a copy of your insurance ID card on you at all times. You will need to present your ID card when you visit a doctor or a hospital.
  • Paying for prescription drugs – Depending on your insurance, you may need to fill and pay for any medication that is prescribed to you. Check with your insurance to make sure that you understand what your policy for prescription drugs is.
  • Always submit a claim and always follow up on your claims – It is your responsibility to submit a claims form every time you visit a doctor or a hospital. It is also your responsibility to follow up with your insurance AND the hospital to make sure that your claims are processed and paid.

You should be familiar with the following terms:

  • “Co-pay”: This is the amount that you must pay after each visit to a doctor’s office.
  • “Deductible”: this is the amount that you are required to pay by the insurance policy. You choose your deductible. Generally, the lower your deductible, the higher the insurance premium.
  • “Out of pocket expenses”: This is money that will not be reimbursed to you.

It is important that you are healthy and safe while you are studying in the United States. This information will be helpful to ensure that you are prepared and aware of how to manage your health and safety during your time at NWC.

Additional Resources

This video teaches international students how to prepare for their arrival in the US, how the US healthcare system works and how students should seek medical care appropriately if they become sick or injured.

Please visit for more information.

This video provides international students with an overview of the US healthcare system, why insurance is important as well as information on our Student Health plan including the benefits/exclusions, seeking treatment and how to file a claim.

Please visit for more information.


Amanda Enriquez
International Student & Scholar Services Manager


Kara Ryf
International Student & Scholar Services Coordinator